Are waffle slabs able to satisfactorily protect Australian homes from slab heave and foundation movement?
This question is for you, structural engineers and geotechnical engineers and foundation specialists of Australia.
If you are applying AS2870 to waffle slab designs please comment below. We want to hear from you.
These questions have been put to me many times and now I am asking you on behalf of others.
Please comment below with your experience, your qualifications, and your recommendations.
- Do the provisions in AS2870-2011 as they relate to waffle slabs go far enough to protect Australians from uneven foundation movement?
- What is the major letdown in the system that is resulting in waffle slabs being overtly affected by slab heave in such large numbers?
- What can we do, as a profession, to improve the system and improve the performance of the Australian residential foundation systems?
- Are waffle slabs able to protect Australian homes from movement and damage?
- How do you account for large tie-down forces in cyclonic wind areas?
Comments are open. Please let’s make this an open forum for ways to improve foundation systems together.
If you are a homeowner affected by a poor performing foundation system we’d like to hear your perspective too.